03 August 2004

I once flirted my way to a month and a half of free rentals at Blockbuster. A few years ago, they were having a promotional contest where, when you rented a movie, you got a scratch card where you could win free rentals. So I went in to rent something, got a scratch card, and I WON! Never won anything before in my life, so I jumped around all cute and squealed. And of course, the 17 year-old boys behind the counter got a kick out of that. So when I came to redeem my free movie, they gave me another scratch card. Shocking! Another winner! Came in to redeem, another card, another win. And so it went on for a month and a half. I finally asked after the third card what the deal was, and the guy admitted that every card was a winner. I didn’t point out the obvious that they shouldn’t be giving me a new scratch card after I redeemed the last one. I have a sneaking suspicion that they knew.

And then, all my free rental fun came to an end when the manager was working the counter when I checked out, and I asked, “Don’t I get another card?” And he replied, “Only if you pay to rent something,” then turned around and glared at the pack of 17 year-old boys. Poor boys.


And now, I think that the Blockbuster girl is starting to judge me. Since I began working on my wedding invitations, I’ve probably been in there 4 or 5 times to rent movies (I just pop in a video and get to cutting, gluing, and eyeletting—makes the time go by faster.)

Well, I went in last night, and the girl practically mouthed the words, “Nice social life.” It’s almost enough to make me want to join NetFlix just to avoid the shame.

No comments: