13 August 2006

i resemble that!

I have been unjustly accused of with-holding posts as emotional punishment doled out to my readership (what am I up to now, 4?) for not posting enough comments.

No, I'm just lazy.

And I've been travelling. To beautiful Colorado. Home of the Rockies and John Elway and a homeless guy that I gave 50 cents to. The top headline in the Denver Post this morning was about Israel, but the largest headline and biggest front page cover story (about 3/4 of the page) was (and I am not kidding): "Like 7 Like Son" about John Elway's kid. You can say a lot about those Coloradans, but you can't question their devotion to sports.

It was a bit difficult leaving the sunny skies in the mid 70's with 0 humidity to come back here to the sweltering heat and "air soup". Although it does look like we got a little rain. Our lawn has perked up.

I just have to keep telling myself that it's always something, no matter where you live. The house costs may have spiked a little here in my neck of the woods over the last year or so, but it really is out of control in Colorado. We drove past one neighborhood (literally 50 yards off the interstate) that was going from the "800's & up". Those same houses looked to be in the 450-500 range here. You just can't get the land there that you can here. Which is ironic as most of the area around Fort Collins is just big amber waves of grain. Sigh. With purple mountains majesty in the background (which was actually referring to Pikes Peak in CO Springs, a bit further south).

Oh, and Bill got altitude sickness. He kept describing all the symptoms, and I kept saying, "You have altitude sickness. Take a Tylenol. Drink lots of water. Lay down for a while." But then, 15 minutes later, he'd say, "I just really don't feel good. My stomach kind of hurts. My head aches..." K: "Honey, you have altitude sickness. Take a Tylenol. Drink lots of water. Lay down for a while." B: "Y'know...I got sick the last time I was here, too! I wonder what the matter is."

I think you can see where that all headed. Miracle of all miracles, he stepped off the plain this afternoon and felt just fine.

I've had altitude sickness before though, and I can totally sympathize with him. It really is awful. I usually get a mild case the first day I'm there (although I was fine this trip), but one ski trip, I felt so awful, I was convinced I had the flu. My mom was very sweet. She brought me water and Tylenol and let me whine on the sofa for the morning until, lo and behold, I was well enough to ski the next day.

Oh, I want to go skiing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Going skiing for my 10th anniversary!! Nah, nah :P